Macaw parrots is very energy, so that they also need a diversity diet, much oil and calories. In the wild adult Macaw eat a lots kind of seeds, fruits while babies Macaw will eat small seeds, nuts and fruits. Base on size of them that they can eat ½ – ¾ cup of combined feed for parrot and about ½ – ¾ cup of fruit and vegetable.
Foods for Macaw include in formulated diet which is available or seed diet or mixture both of them.
- Formulated diet: provide full nutrition for parrot, so do not need add more vitamins, but it is not have phytonutrients (antioxidant pigments) which is founded in vegetable, fruits, cereals. Phytonutrients promotes immune system, help healed from sickness and high resistance. Moreover, just eat a kind of food will make your parrot feels boring
- Seed diet: A seed only diet offers much more variety with difference kind of seed but vitamin and calcium must be supplemented.
A diet which is combined formula food, many kinds of seeds, dried fruits, nuts is the most suitable about nutrition and diversity for parrot. Besides, they need be added more vegetable and fresh food in meal every day.
A diet combined seeds and nutrient foods
- Fruits and vegetables: supplement foods consist of many kinds of fruits such as apple, pear, plum, cherries, grapes, orange, banana, mango, papaya and strawberry, blueberries. Many vegetables including carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, dark green leafy veggies, many garden vegatetable. But do not feed avocado as it may be toxic to birds.
- Treats: Offer nuts for treats, such as macadamias, walnuts, pecans, almonds, and filberts.
- Proteins: Additional proteins can be offered such as sprouted legumes and cooked chicken or meat.
Water: they need fresh drinking water every day.